Wednesday, 13 July 2011

News of the World Phone Hacking

What do I think? I think in some respects the situation has been blown out of proportion. Although this may not be a popular view at this sensitive time, we all know that newspapers hack phones, it's not exactly suprising! People seem to be jumping onto the bandwagon to keep themselves from getting tarred with the same brush, of supporting the hacking. To me this is similar to what happened with McCarthy (US senator). Sure hacking phones is wrong, and I wouldn't like it to happen to me, but theres no need for a witch hunt! People are being forced out of their jobs because of this, and once this reputation has been pasted onto them, do you really think they'll be able to get another job in a newspaper?

On the other hand I sympathise with the families of the deceased, whom have had their phones hacked. If those hacked were still alive I would have not nearly as much to moan about, but the fact that some of these people have been brutally murdered makes me a little reluctant to support NOTW. I understand that getting a good story is often gruelling, and you take what little leads you have, but you can't argue the fact that it is wrong to hack the phones of deceased to try and find out what they did prior to their death.

What I don't understand is why hack the phones? What are they going to gain? They won't find anything that the police don't know, and what lead do they hope to get? That the murderers knew the victims? Well you don't say!